Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Easy Angel Costume

Last week, my sister-in-law asked if I'd have enough time to put together an angel costume for my sweet  niece, Olivia.  It couldn't be that hard, right? I was right!  So super easy!  The materials were provided by my SIL . . . she picked out white satin fabric (2 yds.) and silver sequin ribbon.  Here's how I made it (minus the wings and halo):

First, I measured Olivia.
          chest - 32"
          length - 41" from shoulder to ankle
          arm - 21" from shoulder to wrist

I unfolded the fabric and re-folded each side onto the center fold (this allowed me to use less fabric in order to have enough length).  Using half of her chest measurement, I measured from the fold and cut two pieces (for the front and the back).


Then I cut the length.

I used a T-shirt as a guide for my pattern.  I cut the width according to my measurements, allowing an extra inch or two for the seam.  I wanted the costume to be a little big so she could wear warm clothes underneath for trick-or-treating :) My chest measurement was 32", so the front and back needed to be about 18" each.  I took approximately half of that measurement and used 11" for my width for the pattern.


Using my arm length measurement, I used the T-shirt again as a guide for the sleeves.


I hemmed the neckline for the front and the back, then attached the two pieces together making a shoulder seam and the side seam with RIGHT sides together.


I attached the long side of the sleeves with RIGHT sides together.


 To attach the sleeves onto the body, I found it easiest to turn the sleeve back to RIGHT SIDE OUT and slide the sleeve into the body (the body should still be INSIDE OUT).  Line up the seam of the sleeve with the side seam of the body and pin.  Pin the sleeve all the way around the arm hole and stitch.


After both sleeves are attached, I turned the whole costume right side out.  I hemmed the sleeves and the bottom to finish the edges.  To give it a little sparkle, I added the silver sequin ribbon around the neckline and the bottom of the sleeves.  I've never sewn on sequins before, but I just stitched it right onto the fabric on each side of the ribbon - it was so much easier than I thought it would be!


And . . . voila!  Nothing fancy, but sweet and simple!


 I can't wait to see it with wings!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading how you made it!!! I kind of wanted to watch a little bit and see so some day hopefully I'd be able to do it myself. We will get lots of pictures of it with wings to!!! Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Anytime you want me to show or teach you something, just ask - I'd be happy to!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?